Friday 19 April 2013

Evaluation

Q1. What were the aims of the script & 9 key frames?

The purpose of the script was to create either a disruption or resolution scene (I did a disruption scene) for a prequel film (I did the film Harry Brown). The script explores my MACRO study into the role of a vigilante; and also my thesis statement on how Harry Brown as a vigilante and motivated by revenge subsequently cleans up the mass criminal society (South London council estate). I also analyze how through Harry Brown’s actions as a vigilante he ends up committing morally wrong actions, but he never suffers for his actions, rather they actually lead to positive results. Through many aspects including: dialogue and scene directions I was able to convey my thesis statement and MACRO study within the script. The purpose of the 9 key frames I created was to carefully choose 9 key parts of the script that would be filmed to link with my MACRO study of the role of the vigilante. I was to show this through the use of location, costume, cinematography (camera shots & angles), props and character casting.

Q2. What codes and conventions identified in the textual analysis essay were used in the script & 9 key frames?
I used the conventions of a hybrid genre thriller-drama that I recognized during the textual analysis essay that I added into my script through dialogue and scene directions. I also colour graded the 9 key frames to match the dark mood I wanted to convey through a thriller drama. The colour grading also helped in showing that the 9 key frames were set in the past as the pictures appear black and white. The narrative aspect of Harry Brown being a vigilante was something I also used in the script and 9 key frames. In my 9 key frames I decided to use quite old (1950s - 60s) clothing on characters – this helped bring more realism to the scene, as it showed the time period effectively. I used a variety of camera shots and angles that helped established the role of Harry Brown as a vigilante (through low angle shots) and the thugs as less powerful characters (through high angle shots). Some shots also represent a characters point of view (I used an over the shoulder shot) which is something I again found from doing the textual analysis task. This helped a lot in communicating a character to the audience.

Q3. How was the location report used in the construction of the 9 key frames?

The location report was an essential aspect used that influenced the 9 key frames. My initial first location report had to be changed due to actors finding it difficult to travel there. This lead me to go and completely change the script from a war scene to a council estate scene, as my location report had changed so much. I also could not find a second suitable location to film a war scene. The second location report then enabled me to explore various estates and find the one that matched the Heygate Estate in the original Harry Brown film. The estate I found helped in creating the 9 key frames as it was much more accessible and dressing up the set to look like 1960s England was easier. The council estate was chosen as my location as it also links to the actual Harry Brown film and therefore is a continuation through my prequel idea. The location report was quite insightful as by completing it this helped me in knowing whether a location is suitable to film in depending on the health and safety along with determining if certain camera angles can be taken in these locations. Also whether any facilities (electrical equipment) I needed to use could also be present in these places was also something I took into consideration. I also analyzed how effective the location I chose to film at would be in terms of its look on camera by comparing the estates I went to with the one from the original Harry Brown film.

Q4. How successful was the script & 9 key frames in achieving the aims?
The script was successful in establishing my MACRO study focussing on Harry Brown’s role as a vigilante – this was through dialogue and stage directions that helped to communicate Harry as a vigilante. Also the narrative of the script involved me solely focussing on Harry Brown and his development into the vigilante character. However, I could have communicated my MACRO study more clearly within the script; this could have been done through showing character development with Harry, involving him transitioning into the role of the vigilante within the narrative and dialogue of the script. I decided to create a disruption scene, but now reflecting on it I could have been more congruent through telling this in the script. As a disruption scene within the script it seemed to resolve during the end, this raises the question how would the scene continue to a resolution scene. Next time I will make it clearer the type of scene I am doing through the script narrative. With my 9 key frames I did select the most relevant and important scenes to film, this was through me analyzing all of the script and carefully selecting these parts. Additionally I ensured these key parts that I was to film were all relevant by checking that they all contribute to Harry Brown with him becoming a vigilante. I would say my 9 key frames were not fully effective as in some shots, actors appear smiling when not necessary, I did direct them but I should have got better actors for the roles to avoid this. The 9 key frames were not fully effective through location, I did not secure the estate I had planned, and therefore I had to use another one. This resulted in my location having less significance as it didn’t really match the estate from the original film. More organisation through my work would mean me not having this problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment